Friday, August 2, 2013

The Loneliest Generation?

“I'm in my early teens and I am just so unhappy with my life. Everything seems so pointless.”

“I'm 15 and my teen years have been hell so far. I haven't had a single friend since elementary school. The past two nights I stayed up crying all night.”

“I feel like every day is just routine, nothing meaningful happens. I'm just so bored with my life. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely happy. Sometimes I feel so alone. I hate it. I just don't know what to do.”

These are random tweets from teenagers talking about their feelings. The American Medical Association reports that mental disorders have become the leading disability in our children, and that depression is at the top of the list. Close to 25% of US children suffer from significant depression at some point.

The recent death of “Glee” star, Cory Monteith from an overdose is a grim reminder that too often depression is claiming the lives of our young. In the past decade successful young entertainers like Brad Renfroe, Heath Ledger, Amy Winehouse and Kurt Cobain have all died of suicide or drug overdose. And we currently seem to be producing a new crop of young potentially self-destructive personalities: Justin Bieber, Amanda Bynes, Miley Cyrus, Paris Jackson and Bobbi Kristina Brown come to mind. Several of them have already been hospitalized for drug problems, suicide attempts or psychological disturbance.

What's wrong? Why is this happening to our young? Psychologist James Garbarino from Loyola University in Chicago states, “The social world of children has become poisonous to their development. The lack of adult supervision and time spent doing constructive cooperative activities with adults are key aspects of this toxic social environment today. Children home alone are more vulnerable to every type of negative cultural influence they encounter than they would be if backed up by adults.”

In short, our children are lonely, not so much for meaningful peer relationships as for meaningful relationships with adults. They may be the loneliest generation ever. While peer relationships are important for teens, they cannot provide the stability and security needed to emotionally support them as they search for their identity and sense of personal worth. Unfortunately, many parents are overworked and overscheduled, and have little time to enjoy a fulfilling family life.

Those of us who are in the body of Christ must take seriously the last command given to us by Jesus Christ, “Love one another, even as I have loved you.” We need to make a conscious choice to become involved with the children around us by conversing with them, taking an interest in what they're doing and listening to their ideas and opinions. We need to give them opportunities to demonstrate their creativity and ability to meaningfully contribute in the life of the church.

We would do well to remember that God told the prophet Jeremiah when he was only a youth, “Before you were formed in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart. I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 1:5; 29:11) God entrusts the mission of encouraging and empowering young people to us. Let's not let Him or them down.

Please join us at 9:00 AM or 11:00 AM this Sunday morning. We will be concluding our first Women’s Conference, Heirs Designed to Reign, and our guest speakers Patricia King and Faytene Grasseschi will be preaching.

Pastor Che

No comments:

Post a Comment