Friday, August 16, 2013

At Your Service

I recently read an article describing what Europeans like and dislike about America. Typically, they find Americans friendly and helpful, and they enjoy our cultural diversity and the fact that America has so many different types of activities to do and places to see.

Interestingly, one of the most frequently mentioned dislikes was service in restaurants. Typical European complaints were: “It was terribly annoying having a waiter interrupt me every 3 minutes to ask me if everything was okay. It's not about genuine interest in serving the customer, but seems to be a subtle reminder that the waiter expects to receive a tip. There is definitely a sense of what can I get out of serving you.”

I think it may have more to do with the type of restaurant. In upscale American restaurants, the waiters are highly knowledgeable about menu items, including how ingredients are prepared, cooked and served. They are ever present, immediately providing refills to empty glasses, placing a napkin in your lap, replenishing the bread tray, etc. without your ever having to make a request. It's almost as if they can read your mind and yet they do it unobtrusively, never interrupting your conversation or activity.

I remember one specific incident when I was stirring my after dinner coffee. A little spilled over the rim of the cup onto the doily and saucer. Without a moment’s hesitation, from out of nowhere the waiter dipped in, quietly said, “Let me take care of that for you sir,” and replaced the saucer and soiled doily. The action was so low-key that it drew no attention to my spill or to the waiter’s presence. But I certainly felt like I was the focus of his service.

People can have very different motivations in providing service to others. They may serve to be noticed or to build a positive reputation. They may serve for an anticipated future payback. They may serve out of a sense of duty, but actually resent it.

Jesus demonstrated a different kind of service to His disciples. He showed them what service looks like when it is motivated by love. On His last night, knowing He would be crucified the next day, Jesus took a towel and basin and washed each of the disciple’s feet. He was their leader, their master teacher and yet He performed a service that ordinarily would be supplied by the lowliest house servant.

After washing their feet, He said, “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you should also wash each other's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.” (John 13:14–15) He further clarified this when He told them, “I have not come to be served but to serve, and to give my life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:28)

Jesus calls each one of us to service motivated by love. We serve, not for what we can get, but for what we can truly give to others. Serving their needs is our focus and our reward. For in a strangely wonderful way, it is in this type of giving service that we in turn receive the deepest personal fulfillment.

Please join us this Sunday at 9:00 AM or 11:00 AM. Our current series is: “What Does Love Look Like?” and my sermon topic this week is “The Mindset of a Servant.”

Pastor Che


No comments:

Post a Comment