Friday, May 10, 2013

Honoring Mom

Mother-love has a face…And for our children, it’s my wife, Sue.  Last year our children shared memories of Mom’s love from their childhood in my Mother’s Day sermon.  This year they wanted to honor her from an adult perspective, for Mother-love never diminishes. It continues throughout all the seasons of life.  So for you, Sue, with all our love…

Joy and Kuoching:  As a new mom to our 3 month old Annabelle, my image of “mom” has drastically changed. Raising our daughter is bringing a greater appreciation for Mom and how she continually sacrifices for our family. I never knew it was possible to love so deeply until I had my own child. I now realize, the love of a mother only grows with time. There is nothing in the world that our mom won’t do to sacrifice, lay down her life, and give us the very best. She puts her time and value into the family above personal gain and interests. Her love is unconditional. She masters the fine dance between strength and grace, courage and kindness. Mom is my mentor, and a source of encouragement, protection and dedication. She prays fervently and is ready to war on our behalf- she is truly super woman! In essence, Mom’s love reminds us of Jesus.

Grace and Steve:  One of the most beautiful attributes about Mom is her undeniable FREEDOM in every area of her life. She is the most free woman we know!  She is free to love others unconditionally, even if it is never reciprocated.  She is free to trust the Lord with all her heart, in spite of her circumstances.  She is free to lay her life down for her family, knowing she is leaving a legacy.  She is free to laugh, cry, sing, dance, and shout, and couldn't care less about what others think.  Some say it's her outgoing personality. Others say it's her hysterical sense of humor.  But we say it's her freedom.  We love her for that. 

Mary:  My mom is the most prophetic person I know. There has not been one day that has gone by that she has not used her prophetic voice. Even the other day I told her that the Lord spoke to me to decline a wonderful opportunity. Her response was "I know, God told me too, but you had to hear from Him yourself." That's my mom. She is always empowering us to have a personal relationship with Jesus and to listen to the heart of God. My mom on countless occasions throughout my life has challenged me to be slow to speak and quick to listen to Holy Spirit. Her yearning and ability to sit and listen at the feet of Jesus is a lifestyle that I am continually pursuing. 

Gabriel:  If there’s one phrase that describes my mom best it’s “Sacrificial Love!” My mom, without a doubt, is the most tangible example of God’s love for me. Her love is not dictated by circumstance or condition. It's not determined by how well I behave or perform. It’s freely given because she has always made the choice to put me before herself. And she doesn’t just fulfill my needs as a son, but she goes above and beyond to help me fulfill my dreams and desires. There is absolutely nobody like her in the world, and I love her with all my heart!

Mother’s Day is about honoring Mom…every Mom.  To honor means to value and respect.  Honor is love in action.  So put your love in action and honor your Mom today. Do something special to let her know how much you value her!

Please join us this Mother’s Day Sunday at 9:00 AM or 11:00 AM.  My sermon is “Mothers Day, Everyday: How to Love and Honor Your Mother on a Daily Basis.”

Pastor Che

No comments:

Post a Comment