Friday, July 25, 2014

Morning Is Breaking

They sat in stunned silence. Once there had been so much hope and excitement, but now only paralyzing disbelief and despair. The dream that had seemed so attainable now lay shattered. They had given up everything for it, but it was gone, and all their sacrifice was for nothing. Worst of all, He was gone, and they felt utterly alone in a world that didn't care.

This is how I imagine the disciples felt the day after Jesus was crucified. Everything they had hoped for, a wonderful new day of glory and deliverance for Israel, dissolved as He suffered and died. Now He lay in a tomb. Obviously it was over. The dream had turned to dust.

Often as I travel, I encounter people who, like the disciples, are mired in discouragement. After 20 years of giving their best to the company, they receive a layoff notice. The kids are grown and gone, and so is the love they committed to so long ago. Divorce seems to be the only solution. The lab report comes back with the shocking diagnosis of a life-threatening disease. A young graduate’s dream of a fulfilling career becomes a nightmare as the rejection letters from prospective employers pile up.

How can we hold onto hope in the face of discouragement? I’d like to share three important actions I take when all seems lost and I’m tempted to give up. (Yes, pastors can get discouraged too!)

I find the most important way to pull out of discouragement is to focus on the answer, not my questions. When everything is falling apart, our mind is full of questions. Why is this happening to me? What did I do to deserve this? Will it ever end? Will things ever be good again? Focusing on our questions only intensifies despair because we may never figure out the answers.

I focus on The Answer instead. God’s word contains a promise for every situation. I find a few promises for my situation to anchor my hope to. Then when I’m tempted to look for answers to those endless questions that crowd my mind, I focus on His promises (The Answer) instead. As I do this repeatedly, peace and encouragement fill my heart.

Secondly, I remember that no matter how strong the feelings of discouragement are, they are subject to change. When we feel down, it’s easy to give in to the temptation to live by how we feel. The truth is that circumstances don’t dictate our feelings. We actively determine our feelings by how we respond to circumstances. Psalm 42:5 reminds me to take charge of my feelings: “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him.”

Finally, I choose to maintain an attitude of thanksgiving. I remember times God has come through for me. I review prophetic words of encouragement I’ve received. Each evening I jot down three ways the Lord has blessed me that day. As my gratitude grows, my discouragement shrinks, and life becomes “doable” again.

The disciples felt hopeless that day after Christ was crucified. However, as morning was breaking the next day, their discouragement turned into incredible joy as they saw their risen Savior! Abba God promises us in Psalm 30:5b, “Weeping endures for a night, but joy comes in the morning.” Your morning is coming! It may even be that your morning is breaking today!

Please join us this Sunday for our services at 9:30 a.m. or 11:30 a.m. We have two special guest speakers, Loren Cunningham, the founder of YWAM, at 9:30 and Andrew Byrd at 11:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment