Friday, May 9, 2014

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle…

Normally I use this space to share insights about various topics as the Lord leads, but today I'd like to do something a little different. I'd like to share the inspired insights of others in paying tribute to the most powerful and often most overlooked occupation: Motherhood. All of us have been shaped and influenced by a mothering person in a way that follows us for the rest of our lives.

I dedicate the following to every mother:

“Motherhood is more than a stage–it is a lifelong calling from God.” (Unknown)

“Making a decision to have a child–it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” (Elizabeth Stone)

“Mothers write on the hearts of their children what the world's rough hand cannot erase.” (Unknown)

“All I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother. I remember my mother's prayers and they have always clung to me. They have followed me all my life.” (Abraham Lincoln)

“My mother made a brilliant impression upon my childhood life. She shone for me like the evening star.” (Winston Churchill)

“The future destiny of the child is always the work of the mother.” (Napoleon Bonaparte)

“The mother is the one supreme asset of national life. She is more important by far than the successful statesman, businessman, artist or scientist.” (Theodore Roosevelt)

“Only God Himself appreciates the influence of the Christian mother in molding the character of her children.” (Billy Graham)

The apostle Paul also remarked on the influence of Christian mothers and grandmothers 2000 years ago: “Timothy, I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. I know how from your childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.” (2 Timothy 1:5; 3:15)

This one is to make you smile: A second grade teacher gave a science lesson about magnets. To see how much the children had learned, she asked her class the question: “Name something that picks up things and begins with the letter “M”. In unison all the children yelled: “Mom!”

I want to close with this stanza from a classic poem:

“They say that man is mighty,
He governs land and sea,
He wields a mighty scepter,
Over lesser powers that be.

But a mightier power and stronger,
Man from his throne has hurled,
For the hand that rocks the cradle,
Is the hand that rules the world
(William Rose Wallace)

Please join us this Mother's Day Sunday at 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM or 1:00 PM. We will be honoring mothers and my sermon is “The Sacrificial Love of a Mother.”

Pastor Che

No comments:

Post a Comment