Friday, March 21, 2014

That's My Kid

Everyone who knows me knows that I am a sports enthusiast. Over the years, I've attended a number of great professional games, but I attended the most exciting game of my life a few weeks ago in early March.

My son-in-law, Steve Baik is basketball coach at Chino Hills High School. They had an outstanding season this year and went to the playoffs for the CIF Division 5 finals. They came up against the number one nationally rated team, Mater Dei, for the Los Angeles championship. The game was played before a crowd of 10,000 at the Honda Center and I've never been more riveted on court action.

With less than 10 seconds to go, Chino Hills was only 2 points down, had possession of the ball and called a timeout. They had time for one last play, and the plan was to take the ball down court for a basket to tie the score, or if the opportunity opened, to go for three-point shot and win the game. The cliffhanger moment felt like a scene from a movie. I just knew we were going to win! Little David was going to bring down the mighty Goliath!

The opportunity opened and the Chino Hills player made his shot, but unfortunately, it hit the rim and bounced off. Mater Dei regained possession and snatched the victory with a final score of 48–44. Needless to say, we were devastated. The players were disappointed, but we were proud of them and encouraged them for playing an outstanding game. And I couldn't have been more proud of my son, Steve. I kept telling everyone around me, “That's my kid!”

Recently, I was reliving the final moments of that game and my pride over my son Steve's achievement. The Lord said to me, “That's exactly how I feel about each one of my children.” I wasn't exactly sure what He meant, but then He gave me a picture. I saw Him in the stands looking at the game of my life being played on the court. He was wearing a jersey with my number on it. In one hand He held a chili dog, and with the other He was gesturing to everyone around Him, pointing me out and proudly exclaiming, “That's my kid!”

Frequently, He shouted my name, saying, “Great play! You’re a winner! I'm so proud of you!” His enthusiastic support filled me with motivation and determination to take the ball down the court and score. With His backing, all doubt left and I was confident I would succeed.

As God's child, do you know that He feels the same way about you? You may think “There is no way that God could ever feel that about me. You don't know what I've done in my life, how many times I've blown it. God can't be that excited and proud about me.”

Remember the story that Jesus told about the Prodigal Son? He was a number one loser that blew everything! And yet when he returned home, his father was so excited that he ran to him and couldn't stop kissing him. Jesus told that story to help us understand how Father God feels about each one of us.

When Father God looks at you, He sees a gifted winner. Regardless of how you see yourself, He knows your true identity and the destiny He is calling you to. Look up and see Him in the stands in your game of life. He's wearing a jersey with your number on it, proudly telling everyone around Him, “That's my kid!”

Please join us this Sunday at 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM, or 2:00 PM. Pastor Karl Malouff will be speaking on part 4 of our continuing series, “How to Wear the Love of God Well.”

Pastor Che

No comments:

Post a Comment